Hello everyone! How are we all?
First post for 2020! Now I haven’t really done TBRs for a few months and it’s because I’m mostly a mood reader, however, my reading this month will be focused around two readathons. G’s (from Bookroast) Winter Magical Readathon and the #StartOnYourShelfAThon by CW.
For G’s readathon I’m not in a rush to finish it as G said that we can set our own time. It started on the 1st of December last year (obviously) so you can set the challenge to do it all of December or spread it out as long as you want. I aim to finish before O.W.Ls start in April. So yeah I’m taking my time and not pressuring myself to do it all in a month.
The #StartOnYourShelfAThon by CW is a year long readathon (ends on 31st of December) that focuses on all of your unread books (physical or electronic). This works really well with coinciding it with other readathons. It would just be a good reminder to also focus on the books I’ve been wanting to read for a while but are just sitting on my shelves. For this readathon I’m not putting pressure on myself and will see how well I do throughout the year. Maybe set books month by month. There’s a lot more to #StartOnYourShelfAThon such as collecting stars so absolutely check out her blog for full details! Every 3 or 4 months I’ll post an update.
Winter Magical Readathon Prompts (one’s highlighted will be one’s I’m focusing on):
- Chapter 1 – Let the de-gnoming begin! Pick a book from your existing TBR that’s longer than 500 pages!
- Chapter 2 – From mundane to magical: read an urban fantasy (fantasy world that exists in secret from the muggle world).
- Chapter 2 – Bookclub pick! Buddy read a book or read a book that has been picked by a bookclub of your choice (recently or in past).
- Chapter 3 – Read a book that was published in 2001.
- Chapter 4 – Pick 5 – 7 books, lay them in a circle around you. Close your eyes and turn around a couple of times. Open your eyes and read the book in front of you.
- Chapter 4 – Read a friend’s recommended or favourite book! It could also be a book community member recommendation.
- Chapter 5 – Read a book that’s shorter than the one you finished before.
#StartOnYourShelfAThon & Magical Readathon TBR
- The Diviners by Libba Bray (book over 500 pages)
- The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (Urban fantasy)
- Red,White and Royal Blue, Truly Devious or the Last Magician (bookclub)
Other books I Plan to Read
- Aggie Morton: The Body Under the Piano by Marthe Jocelyn (eARC) – I actually finished that last night and really enjoyed! Published by 4th Feb
- A Reluctant Bride by Jess Michaels (eARC) – just got accepted this! Published by 7th Jan
- Ink & Arrows by Shruthi Viswanathan (eARC) – Published by 25th Jan
As you can see my #StartYourShelfAThon TBR is the same as my Winter Magical Readathon as all these books I own but have not read yet (oh except The Iron King that’ll be a reread).
This is a very ambitious January TBR for me so cross fingers I can read all of them or at least a good majority of the books on these lists
Year Long Reading Goals
I’ve set my Goodreads reading challenge to 45 books. Last year I kept it at 25 but surpassed that by reading 75. I just wanted to raise my goal slightly as I plan on taking more classes at Uni this year.
This year I also hope to focus on finishing series. I have a few started but never continued and so close to finishing others.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper series by Kerri Maniscalco – still on the third book
- The Falconer series by Elizabeth May – last year read the first book of the trilogy
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – again only read the first book
- Harry Potter by J,K Rowling – continue with the audiobooks
- The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – just have the last book to go!
This year is all about finishing up those series that I always tell myself I’ll get to.
Have you guys read any of these books? What are your January plans looking like??
Until next time…